Old 18-10-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Manure

On 18/10/08 08:42, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:56:02 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Isn't chicken manure especially notorious for burning off plants? If it's
not rotted down, it can be diluted a lot in buckets of water and used that
way. I think the same goes for cow manure but chicken is even more
powerful, supposedly - no idea of which ingredients account for that!

I used chicken manure in the bean pit that was dug well before the beans
went in last Spring. I had wonderful results but then it wasn't that fresh
and it wasn't on top of the soil.

Yes, AIUI, it's chicken manure applied directly to the plants or put into
the soil at the same time as planting. We had chickens for a few years and
the year after we got rid of them we had a fantastic crop of potatoes on
that patch.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com