Old 18-10-2008, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackberry bushes

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I think not for the first time the english language is causing
confussion.
Brambles, Blackberries, Brimbles are all different names for the same
plant (there are many more, often regional) but in common speach one
would perhaps refer to a tangle of the stems as "Brambles" while a bowl
of fruit "Blackberries" but as far as I know its all quite
interchangable!

Since ye olden dayes when I was an anklebiter and before, the terms have
been completely interchangeable for the fruit and for the bushes,
however, while I'm not aware of any in this case, linguistic tradition
can vary from area to area.

This is such a case, but it tends to be that people use one term
more than the other. I can't remember which areas follow Charlie's
usage, but it is one of the more common. Few people misunderstand
or care if someone else uses another convention.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.