Old 19-10-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Great sweet corn challenge

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:40:04 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Our gardens are quite different and so are our gardening styles.

Roy obviously knows his earth pretty well, I know what works for me at home.
He said I should prepare the planting bed for Sweet Corn as he does for his
various crops. I proposed minimal till and dibbling holes for the seed. I
respect his knowledge of the soil of course but also know what has worked
for me at home.

In the end we decided to split the garden in 1/2 and plant one side out his
methods and 1 1/2 my methods. The loser buys the winner a beer at the local
club we both belong to.

After throughly weeding today, I forked over 'his' 1/2 of the garden bed and
limed it. Next weekend I will rake and sow, as well as sowing 'my' 1/2 of
the bed using minimal tillage.

It'll be interesting to see how things go through the srping and summer.
Both sides of the bed will be treated alike from sowing onward, including
fertilising.

rob

Sounds like an interesting bet! I'm curious to read about this year's
gardening.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb