Old 19-10-2008, 09:37 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default harvesting black walnut

This year harvesting bigtime. Started with 100 gallons of unhusked and
looks to be 30 gallons of
husked black walnut. I have plastic containers with lids to keep the
squirrels and rodents out of
until unhusked.

I read somewhere that the green husked have a better flavor than
waiting for a black husk.

Alot of the fly and maggots in the husks.

Time consuming to place on the woodstove top to dry and roast the nut.

Maybe as the years roll by I can find some alternatives to make the
work easier.

Read that commercial operations have a sort of wheel belt that unhusks
the black walnut.

One year I tried soaking them in water until the husk was easy to
remove, but I wonder
if the water penetrated the nut itself which would be dirty water.

Tried a few and they are delicious with a strong flavor. And that the
small ones often
are better tasting than the larger nuts.

They do seem to take alot of time and will have to find better methods
of dehusking.

The only thing left to harvest now is frostbite tomatoes that are
green but will redden
in the winter and potatoes and rhubarb.

Also have to plant the strawberries out of their pots and into the
ground for the winter
and cover with straw.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium