Old 19-10-2008, 08:18 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
Inyo Inyo is offline

Default harvesting black walnut

wrote in message

This year harvesting bigtime. Started with 100 gallons of unhusked and
looks to be 30 gallons of
husked black walnut.

You're sure going to have a "fun" time of it cracking open those many
gallons of wickedly hard black walnuts to engage in ultra-tedious picking
out of the meat.

We used to have a couple of prodigiously productive black walnut trees in
our back lot--every year, I'd gather up a bunch of the fallen nuts, placing
small lots of them in a cardboard box to shake around with vigorous vitality
in order to wear off most of the surface "black soot." And then the fun
began. In my spare time, I'd patiently crack open the nuts with my geology
hammer, then use one of those sharp dental tools (the variety a hygenist
uses to clean one's teeth) to poke around and pluck out the meat. After a
few weeks of occasional dedicated work, I'd have a nice cache of black
walnuts to store away.

In one of our better landscaping decisions, I must say, we finally removed
both the black walnut trees several years ago; but, if I ever wanted to
collect more black walnuts to mess around with, there are certainly numerous
huge, producing wild specimens concentrated down by our local river. Anyway,
good luck with your project--'cause you're gonna need it.

Fossil Plants Of The Ione Basin, California
http://members.aol.com/Waucoba5/ione/ioneproject.html
(An addendum here--all of my paleobotany web pages, plus all my paleontology
pages, in general, will not be found at their current URLs after October 31,
2008; this, because my ISP provider is eliminating all of their members' web
space.)