Old 19-10-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~ ~misfit~ is offline

Default Complete Newbie to veg growing!

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "tony newton" typed:
Check out the web for info on 'lasagna gardening'. It's a raised bed
technique that might save you a lot of digging.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Sea rch&meta=

Started now, should be ready for spring. Although some plant it up
almost immediately.

As far as planting now, quite a few salad crops will grow late
autumn/winter eg some varieties of lettuce, spinach and rocket. There
are also some overwintering spring onions. It's a bit late to start
them, but as seed is cheap it's worth trying a few rather than
leaving the area bare. I made some simple wooden open framed boxes
covered with polythene to protect late and early spring sown hardy
plants from the cold winds (just as deadly as frost). Another
advantage of a raised bed is that you can screw a protective cover
over and so not have it blow away like the cheaper plastic cloches.

Thanks Nigel, I'd not heard of that method before. Lots of links
bookmarked for later browsing...

Ahhh, so it's essentially composting in situ, then planting into it.
Interesting but I prefer my more traditional methods. I simply don't have
the sheer volume of compostable material needed for that method.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.