Old 19-10-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Grit?

On 19/10/08 21:56, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Oct 19, 2:53 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... On 17/10/08 21:00, in
article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some
pots
of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i buy for
my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're worried about
what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap and set it
going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Gosh I am in need of some learning here, grit for chickens, where is
Mary Fisher, I need advice on grit for the hens that I will be buying
next Spring!

Judith

If your hens are free range they'll probably pick up enough grit to satisfy
their needs. It helps them grind up the food in their crop, AIUI and some
keepers advocate ground up oyster shells in the feed to help form the eggs'
shells. Makes you wonder how wild chickens ever survived........ ;-)
Jill Bowis at Kintaline will help:
Domestic Poultry and Waterfowl Solutions
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine Nursery
Seasonal Farm Food
http://www.kintaline.co.uk

--