Old 19-10-2008, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grit?

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote:
"Pete C" wrote:

Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top
of some pots of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit
and any other grit/gravel?

Only a guess - finer/not so fine/no salts.

How much does horticultural grit cost in comparison with the grit i buy
for my hens? £3 for more than I can use in a year, and if you're
worried
about what's in it you can put it in a bucket in the bath under the tap
and set it going for an hour or so to rinse it.

Not on a water meter?
Lucky you ;-)

Still a criminal waste of water, though.

Well, I don't actually *do* that, as the grit seems ok for both chickens and
spreading on the top of flower pots, I was just saying that you *could* if
you were worried about what might be in it..
And no, Mike, I am not on a water meter, I pay quite a lot for my water as
it is. Water meters are a diabolical idea for someone who has a quarter
acre of garden, 5 huts of chickens who need fresh water every day and a
Muscovy drake who needs his 20 gallon bath refreshing every couple of days.
Plus I don't want to worry how much water I'm using when I want to have a
shower or bath.