Old 20-10-2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Taking Cuttings

"YMC" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote in message
Question: I understand that you cannot take cuttings from all rose
plants. Does anyone know anything about the climbers, "Don Juan and
Joseph's Coat?" I won't cut them back until after Thanksgiving and
that's when I take my cuttings. I have not tried these two yet.
Any thoughts?

Why not give it a go. Maybe it will work.

My old gardener told me that cuttings will not last as their root
systems are inferior.

I've got two roses grown from cuttings - not graftings - and both
are spectacular.

I took a cutting from a hard-to-find OGR years ago. The "daughter"
plant is now larger than the "mom". I'm about to take more cuttings
since I'm moving and I doubt I'll be able to find this particular rose
again.
I've been less successful with some other OGRs, very successful with
rambler Red Cascade.

The key really is roses that grow on their own roots vs roses that are
grafted. The former are more likely to be successful, all else being
equal.

The American Rose Society has several good articles on propagating
roses through hardwood cuttings:
www.ars.org

You have to hunt a bit to find the Articles link.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8