Old 20-10-2008, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit Trees and Clay Soil

In article ,
says...
Hi all

How likely am I to succeed with fruit trees in clay soil.
Ideally I would like to grow a plum tree - victoria would be nice.
But...
The sunniest spot in the garden gets maybe 6 hours of afternoon sun at the
height of summer.
The ground is heavy clay - can I improve it locally to support fruit tree
growth (if so how)? I have read that victorias need free draining soil!
Are plum trees available on different root stock? I would want to have a
max height of 2.5-3m, not the 4m I have seen on victoria label at the local
gardening centre.
Would I necessarily need 2 trees for cross fertilising?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Victoria is self frtile but you would still get a better/more reliable
crop with a cross pollinator. I would think a combination of one of the
dwarfing stocks like Pixie(?) and pruning should keep your tree to within
the size you want. Local improvement of the soil to a good depth will be
of huge benifit to the long term health of the tree (I have always found
plums difficult to keep alive!)
Victoria is a good allround choice
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall