Old 20-10-2008, 11:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default heating the pond in winter

pex? plastic? it is an insulator. metal is the best conductor. remember, cold
doesnt seep out, heat has to spread in. Ingrid

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:18:00 EDT, Derek Broughton wrote:

wrote:

it would need to be metal and the only thing I would trust in the pond
would be really expensive.

Why would it need to be metal? Radiators for cars or homes are metal
because they need to move a lot of heat, quickly, into air - which doesn't
conduct heat well. Water conducts heat _very_ well, and if you were
running the output from a solar heater through about 40' of 3/4 or 1" PEX
at the bottom of the pond, I think you'd get excellent heat transfer. I'd
check that with a heating engineer, if possible, but I'd bet on it.