Old 20-10-2008, 11:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default the week before Halloween

Next to "the Lake" we have not had a killing frost yet. I found damn floating bird
feathers in the water and went nuts thinking there was a dead morning dove fouling my
koi pond. So I ripped all the netting off to uncover the pond. by this time of year
the water celery has grown out over the netting and covers the back half of the pond.
http://tinyurl.com/5jo6o7 so I had to cut all the water celery with DH hauling at
the netting. we opened it up and DH started scooping with the net, but the water had
gotten pretty yellowed and we couldnt see to the bottom. NO DEAD BIRD. over last
week I drained about 600 gallons one day, added it back the next. did this twice so
far. NO DEAD BIRD. no more feather. beast must have landed on celery to get a
drink of water from fall and got feet caught and went nuts leaving feathers floating
around. sheesh. now I see some white patches on a couple koi and have no idea where
my PP is.

anyway, this weekend I was supposed to get the cyperus out of the veggie filter and
into a tub in the heated garage. didnt happen. it looks like we have another week
without a freeze. have to find the works to put over the pond. Ingrid