Old 20-10-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Withycombe Tom Withycombe is offline

Default Using black plastic sheeting to kill off vegetation prior to vegetable-planting

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Jake D" wrote
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to vegetable gardening, having started one year ago.
Now that the growing season is over, I'm thinking of trying the
technique of covering the plot with black plastic sheeting, to kill
off all vegetation, prior to next Spring's planting.

The timetable I am contemplating is to plant winter field beans, right
now, to enrich the soil. Then, early next Spring, when the field beans
have grown, cover the whole lot with black plastic for a suitable
time, to kill everything (field beans and weeds) then remove the
plastic and plant my vegetables in the weed-free soil. (I probably
won't dig the soil over at this point, as I want to try no-dig
gardening next year.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is the field-bean idea worth the
effort? Does it really improve the soil significantly?

Anyone else used the black plastick sheeting method routinely? Which
month do you do it and how long do you leave the sheeting in place? Do
you save the sheeting for use again, the following year?

Plastic sheeting will have no benefit for such a short period and can alter
the pH of the soil over an extended period anyway. Green manure I don't use
as I've had a very bad experience with it.
Dig the plot and dig in well rotted horse manure (1 year old) where you
intend to plant your potatoes next season, depends what crop rotation you
use. That's all that needs doing until the early spring when you start
planting again...Broad Beans, Shallots, Onions...
That said, you have already planted your Garlic haven't you.

Sorry - a personal diversion. I have always planted garlic in November
(usually around 15th). This year I am trying Blanak for the first time.
Is your experience that garlic benefits from planting earlier than mid
Nov?

OOI, I sowed Broad Beans (Aquadulce) yesterday. Hope they're as
successful as last year!
--
Tom Withycombe
Milck House