Old 21-10-2008, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Datura seeds

On Oct 21, 11:37*am, Judith in France
wrote:
To those who sent me emails for Datura seeds, I haven't forgotten, as
soon as the first week in November arrives, I will be posting them.
Remember to use gloves when handling the seeds. *I am told that just a
few can be fatal to a large animal although I am not sure how accurate
that is. * When the pods split, they leave zillions of seeds on the
ground and I have yet to see a dead animal.

I used to leave the datura seeds over winter in the greenhouse as
natural rodent bait. It was pretty effective.

I think the toxicity is overplayed a bit, but you really don't want to
take chances. It is a potent chemical weapon. The smell of the bruised
leaves is enough to put most people off although the scent of the
flowers on a warm evening is divine. Been a bit cold and wet for them
where I live this year. Definitely wash your hands after handling.

Regards,
Martin Brown