Old 21-10-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Fruit Trees and Clay Soil

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

Victoria is self frtile but you would still get a better/more reliable
crop with a cross pollinator. I would think a combination of one of the
dwarfing stocks like Pixie(?)

That's a cherry stock. It might work.

and pruning should keep your tree to within
the size you want.

IME Pixie might struggle to six or seven feet...

Local improvement of the soil to a good depth will be
of huge benifit to the long term health of the tree (I have always found
plums difficult to keep alive!)
Victoria is a good allround choice

When I was an anklebiter we had a mature codlin, another mature tree -
can't remember which - and another young apple tree, all on thick,
sticky, yellow alluvial clay, and they cropped very nicely.

I've no experience of Victorias on clay, though sloes and bullaces do
well on Norfolk near-boulder-clay (Left near the morain of a glacier at
the end of the last ice-age)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig