Old 21-10-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default ID help, please

On 21/10/08 18:41, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It's an Aeonium. They do root quite easily but are tender in much of UK so
keep yours indoors for the winter unless you live in one of those places!

He does. Washed by the Gulf Stream, and not a million miles from Poolewe...

In
Scilly they seem to seed themselves all over the place and grow wild.
There are some interesting varieties, one being an almost black one called
'Zwartkop' but usually called 'Schwarzkopf'.
(My Godson and his wife had a holiday with their twins on Islay this summer
and are lyrical about it.)

I think 'Zwartkop' would be Dutch...

It means the same thing - black head - but 'Zwartkop' is what is given in
the Plant Finder and I wondered if it could be Afrikaans. I have always
known it as 'Schwarzkopf', though.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com