Old 21-10-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Withycombe Tom Withycombe is offline

Default ID help, please

In message , Sacha
writes
On 21/10/08 16:49, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

Could some kind person identify this plant for me, please?

It is growing outside on the island of Islay.

www.indaal.demon.co.uk/pictures/plant.html

A bit broke off a couple of months ago and we stuck it in a large pot
and it rooted and grew immediately.

It's an Aeonium. They do root quite easily but are tender in much of UK so
keep yours indoors for the winter unless you live in one of those places! In
Scilly they seem to seed themselves all over the place and grow wild.
There are some interesting varieties, one being an almost black one called
'Zwartkop' but usually called 'Schwarzkopf'.
(My Godson and his wife had a holiday with their twins on Islay this summer
and are lyrical about it.)

Glad you settled that. We also have a black/very dark one and I could
not recall its name. It saved me calling my wife who is visiting
relatives.

Also glad your Godson enjoyed Islay. I used often to spend school
holidays there when my home was in Argyll some decades ago. Also enjoyed
a wonderful week in May this year. Malcolm runs the Islay Wildlife
Centre in Port Charlotte .... and superbly comprehensive facility
appealing to all ages.

Thanks again!
--
Tom W.