Old 22-10-2008, 11:25 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default water chestnuts (again)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:00:58 +0000, 0tterbot wrote:

i.e. how deep does it have to be?

We are trying 20cm, 10cm of soil with corm in middle and 10cm for
flooding. We have three in an old dairy vat about 1mx1.5m and two in an
old plastic lined wheelbarrow.

also, i was wondering if digger's club claim is true - that one corm can
yield 2kg(!) - in which case i'm also wondering how _wide_ the container
should be!

As wide as you can manage. I can not remember if the instructions said 1/2
sq mwetre or 1 sq metre each. AIUI they spread by runners, so you want
somespace for them to spread, but I have no idea of how far they run
before they corm. could be totally wrong there, but I'll guess we'll soon
know.

i was just going to put the container in the shade under a tree near a
tap... or somehting like that. not forgetting netting, to keep the
sodding ducks off.

Lol, our problem is all the other stuff that germinated from the well
wetted soild, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, basil, etc. SWMBO wanted to try
and transplant them all, but I've suggested early cropping of te lettuce
and spinach (baby spinach leaves for salad?) and just weedt he rest so we
minimise soil disturbance for our first effort.