Old 22-10-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default ID help, please

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

It means the same thing - black head - but 'Zwartkop' is what is given in
the Plant Finder and I wondered if it could be Afrikaans. I have always
known it as 'Schwarzkopf', though.

Schwarzkopf is German.

Zwartkop is similar: kop is certainly an Africaans word, but much
Africaans is derived from Dutch, and I'd guess 'Zwart' is either Dutch,
or Africaans, or both.

I'll ask Richard Bos...

His reply is as follows:

As a nonce-word meaning "blackhead", could be Dutch. As a name for a
bird, same meaning, /Albione/ Blackcap, it _is_ Dutch. As a name for a
succulent I've never seen it, but a quick websearch does seem to show it
to be of African origin. All the same, it's a normally formed Dutch
word, and would immediately be understood by any Dutchman if used to
refer to a black succulent.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig