Old 23-10-2008, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default water chestnuts (again)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:02:18 +0000, 0tterbot wrote:

crikey, i thought they grew in a clump together like potatoes do... :-/

As I said, I have no real idea. The chief gardner decided she want to grow
them and that was how I explained why they needed the space. I wasn't keen
on planting six into a wheel barrow.

However, the image here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_chestnut
suggest you are correct.

Hmm, perhaps something deeper might be better, but that is what we have
based on the little slip of paper that came with the corms. If they are
productive, then I construct something bigger for next time.

If you have the space, you could simply dig a largish frog pond and
line it with plastic, then dump soil back in the bottom and plant them
there. Alternatively, how cheap are those large plastic bins at the $2
shop?

Lol, our problem is all the other stuff that germinated from the well
wetted soild,

this is a problem? :-)

Actually, it has me thinking about where the garden is heading. We have
one large bed about 7mx4m, plus three X 2mX1.5m raised beds that were
going to be converted into a second bigger bed about 9m x 3m.

Our major problem is water. The two tanks really hold an insignificant
amount, so we are paying for it and being under/near some big trees, it
disappears very fast.

Current brain activity is how can I do something similar to the water
chestnuts, but not as wet, for a general garden.

yes, baby spinach in your salad is where it's at! thanks terry. kylie

We have decided that if we can pull off baby beetroot leave in our salad,
just like some mixes in the F&V shop, then we are doing great. Sadly,
something ate all the beetroot seedlings this year.