Old 23-10-2008, 02:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default water chestnuts (again)

"0tterbot" wrote in message
hello,
i've just got 3 water chestnut plants.

just re-read the previous thread about them & intend to put them in a
container, but my question is: in the absence of spare laundry tubs & so
forth, what type of container should i put them in? i.e. how deep does it
have to be?

i was hoping some sort of plastic container or something that i already
have might be suitable, if it doesn't need to be too deep.

also, i was wondering if digger's club claim is true - that one corm can
yield 2kg(!) - in which case i'm also wondering how _wide_ the container
should be!

i was just going to put the container in the shade under a tree near a
tap... or somehting like that. not forgetting netting, to keep the sodding
ducks off.

I thought I saw that Matthew had a bathtub in his veggie garden???? -
perhaps you could ask him to lend it to you for the season.

I had thought of lining those bicg black plastic pots that you buy advanced
trees in with black plastic but given the post about them spreading by
runner, perhaps you could rig up a black plastic pond like shape with old
boards or something to hold up the sides.