Old 23-10-2008, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tony newton tony newton is offline

Default Sweet Corn

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:37:58 +0100, "Mel"
wrote:

"tony newton" wrote
There are several types of gene sweetness described in increasing
order of sweetness SU (Sugary), SE (Sugar Enhanced), SH2 (Supersweet)
and finally the new tendersweet versions. The first two can be grown
together usually without problems*.

Hi again, Tony. I was thinking of growing Lark and Sundance. I think that
Lark is an extra tendersweet and Sundance is a standard SU. So, these 2
cannot be grown together, is that right? Can different varieties of extra
tendersweet be grown together, or do they also have to be separated from ANY
other corn?

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes Sundance would contaminate Lark. They are both mid season so
produce pollen at the same time.

I don't know for sure if the extra sweet ones can be grown together,
but I have read at least one person planting Swift, Lark and possibly
Conqueror (or Kite) as early, medium and late croppers so keeping it
going. If you aren't going to get a lot of sun or have a short season,
I'd not bother with the late varieties
Swift, Earlibird, Ovation, Excalibur, Orion and Seville are early or
mid season varieties. You might not find these in garden centres but
have to search online for commercial seed merchants (good value) .
Try moleseeds. Sweetcorn seed should last for a couple of years. It
really does pay to plant sevral seeds and only keep the most vigorous.
Sad little seedlings don't catch up.

The minimum is 16 of each variety, but more is better to ensure full
pollination. As that takes up so much space (for what you get back)
it's easy to start more plants than you have room for. I did this
year! Started them in large3" newspaper pots as corn really doesn't
like being disturbed. Supersweet types need warm soil so you might
have to wait too late for yours to warm up enough. Hence starting
indoors