Old 23-10-2008, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Conservatory plant advice.

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Friend has asked what conservatory plant she should buy. South facing, and
gets rather hot in summer but no specific heating in winter, only heat from
the house. Not gardeners but will follow instructions.

How much space, and will they move the plants out in summer?

If they won't, then I recommend Strelitzia regina, as one of the best
plants for a conservatory that might bake in summer. But even that
benefits from being moved outside.

I suggested a Tahiti lime or Brugmansia, provided it spent the summer
outside. There are children though so the last one might be off limits.
Suggestions welcome please.

Damn the children! It's a complete delusion that they rush up to
plants and gnaw on the leaves - it's enough trouble to get them
to eat green vegetables!

Other worthwhile plants include chillis (yes, annual, but attractive
and edible, and useful to teach children not to chew every pretty
berry/fruit - not that most do), other citrus, Tibouchina semidecandra
(which MUST go out in summer) and others I don't grow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.