Old 23-10-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default could someone name this please?

On 23/10/08 07:22, in article ,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:45:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/10/08 18:56, in article
,
"sedge" sedge wrote:

I believe it's a jasmin, but can't find a picture in my gardening
books to match

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pic.jpg

- thanks for any help

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.

Yes, late summer strongly scented it most certainly is. Thanks for
the confirmation!

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also scented,
though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale yellow bellow
like flowers with a cowslip perfume. Both are really valuable in a 'late'
garden, as is Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii, a tree like shrub that
grows to about 6m, flowers in August, smells heavenly and is followed by
china blue berries. It's hardy to about -15C though we've never had ours
tested to that point!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com