Old 23-10-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Conservatory plant advice.

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob
Hobden" wrote:
Nick wrote
after danny wrote:

Tahiti lime or one of the lemon varieties would do well. Even kept in
the conservatory all year they would thrive, as long as the root temp
didnt go above 96 fahrenheit or below 60 degrees F

Er, even in the UK, a south facing conservatory is likely to get
to 50 Celsius (120 Fahrenheit) on a hot, sunny, still day - we had
one just a year or so back :-)

Also, no citrus is worried too much by temperatures that approach
freezing (but don't reach it), provided that they are fairly dry at
the root and semi-dormant. Or at least, none that I have heard of
(including "key lime", which is one of the most tender). A minimum
of 40 Fahrenheit is fine for them, and most can take less, often
quite a lot less.

That's one of the problems, very high summer temperatures in the
conservatory which is why I've already said unless they have cacti they
will
need to move the plants out for the summer.

My Mum had a small S. facing one near the south coast and it got to over
100°F at 8.00 am on a sunny summers day.

I suppose they could always spray it with whitewash, though it's hardly
very
pretty.

Err, no, knowing this lady as I do I can't see her allowing her new
conservatory to be
sprayed with sunshade paint. :-)
But, she does understand that anything she plants will need to be moved
outside in the summer and is prepared for that. I hope her husband is too.
:-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden