Old 23-10-2008, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies[_2_] Emrys Davies[_2_] is offline

Default I gotta lotty

"Pete C" wrote in message
After being told when I applied, that it would probably be later next

year
before I would be likely to be offered anything.............Hey
hey.........been offered half a plot today. Hope to view at the

weekend.
Now, tips please on what to lookout for. I can check a car over prior

purchase, but an allotment??
Cheers
--
Pete C
London UK

Considerations:

Are you happy with the allotment rules?
Is it big enough for requirements?
Is it reasonably accessible?
Is the soil workable? i.e. not full of clay or rocks and the like.
Is there reasonable access to water?
Are there almost irremovable weeds present? e.g. Mares Tail
http://tinyurl.com/6ogp42
Is it in a very shaded area? You need light, rain and no protruding
tree roots.
If there is garden furniture, is it in reasonable repair?
Speak to other allotment holders with a view to obtaining a history of
the site such as vandalism, unruly neighbours (foxes and badgers
included) and soil conditions.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.