Old 23-10-2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default How do you store pumpkins?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:51:32 -0700 (PDT), CanopyCo
wrote:

:What I did was as follows;
:
:Top the pumpkin, as in cut off one end to access the seeds.
:Scrape out the seeds.
:Lay on its side and slice off slices to make donuts about one inch
:thick.
:Take donut and slice off skin by laying it on a cutting board and
:going around it cutting off slices.
:Then slice it up like you would a potato or squash, in about that
:sized chunks.
:
:The one that I had was small, so I got some french fry type slices one
:time, then a bunch of little one by one half inch chunks the other
:time, from the same donut.
:
:I fried them in olive oil just like potatoes or squash, and it came
ut tasting sort of like butternut squash.

I grow Japanese pumpkins, known as kabochas. They are smaller than
orange pumpkins and the flesh is a darker orange-red, also a fair amount
sweeter. I like them much more than orange pumpkins. They are actually
pretty similar to acorn squash, I believe, and other "winter" squash.

I cut the washed, and seeded kabochas into ~1 inch squares, maybe a
little bigger and parboil them for maybe a dozen minutes. Drained and
cooled, they can be added to a just-cooked stir fry or mashed for
pumpkin bread, soup, pie, cookies, etc. Or frozen for later use. This
technique could certainly be used for "regular" pumpkins.

Dan