Old 23-10-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default I gotta lotty

"Pete C" wrote...
After being told when I applied, that it would probably be later next year
before I would be likely to be offered anything.............Hey
hey.........been offered half a plot today. Hope to view at the weekend.
Now, tips please on what to lookout for. I can check a car over prior to
purchase, but an allotment??
Cheers

Some thoughts off the top of my head...
Check and look out for ...
Is it an open aspect (not shaded by trees etc)?
Water nearby?
Easy access and parking nearby?
Animal pests..Rabbits mainly, which means rabbit fences. Foxes get rid of
rabbits but bring their own problems as do Badgers, local Cats....?
Human pests..Vandalism, pinching of produce, is it a problem on the site?
Perennial weeds.. Bindweed and Mares tail etc that are difficult or
impossible to remove.
Don't assume that a recently used plot has been looked after, I've seen a
number of "new" gardeners that never put anything back into the soil and
complain of reduced yields year on year, finally giving up. Not all
gardeners look after the soil.
Is the soil full of rubbish? (our plot was full of glass and bits of plastic
amongst the bricks!)
Are neighbouring plots well tended of full of weeds (which will get into
yours)?
Are the neighbours friendly?

--
Regards