Old 24-10-2008, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sedge sedge is offline

Default could someone name this please?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:52:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Looks very like Clematis flammula. Sweetly and strongly scented late
summer/early autumn.

Yes, late summer strongly scented it most certainly is. Thanks for
the confirmation!

It's a lovely Clematis and I don't know why more people don't grow it.
Another good,, late clowering one which is more rampant but is also scented,
though not as strongly. Is C. rehederiana. This has pale yellow bellow
like flowers with a cowslip perfume. Both are really valuable in a 'late'
garden, as is Clerodendrum trichotomum var. fargesii, a tree like shrub that
grows to about 6m, flowers in August, smells heavenly and is followed by
china blue berries. It's hardy to about -15C though we've never had ours
tested to that point!

Thanks for those tips, Sacha. I don't have a garden big enough for
the Clerodendrum trichotomum but it sounds wonderful. The C.flammula
in my pic is growing round a short fence. I'm wondering if this is a
self-supporting shrubby plant or if it needs to grow round something?
Also, my garden is surrounded by trees and/or buildings and gets good
sunlight but only perhaps 30% of the daily arc in any one position. Is
that enough sun, do you think, for the clematis?