Old 24-10-2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Young Steve Young is offline

Default lead exposure from hoses

"JustTom" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:58:33 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

My well water filtration system, prior to house plumbing entry, runs like
this in series. Sediment filter, air injection bottle, carbon filter.
Change the sediment filter once a month, and the carbon filter every 3
months. Bacteria that come from deep wells are normally anaerobic, not
aerobic in nature. The odor, most likely, is hydrogen sulfide gas made by
such bacteria.

My well water has tested clean, I'd guess mostly because it's drilled
thru almost solid rock. That unfortunately means it's also some of
the hardest water the testers have seen.

Though your well was undoubtable expensive to drill, you will probably never
encounter bacteria and organic material entering through surface water
migrating into the aquafier.

Are there any filters effective for hardness, other than a Na or Ka
based softener?

Reverse osmosis will remove the minerals, but it isn't practical for whole
house use. Many do it for drinking water only. Personally, I drink hard
water and send the house water through a softener. We have a separate cold
hard water spout at the kitchen sink. There is evidence that drinking hard
well water reduces heart attacks. Speculation is that it's the magnesium in
hard water. Along with calcium, magnesium also gets replaced with sodium or
potassium for soft water. If I had to choose which of the 2 soft waters I
had to drink, it would be potassium.

Steve Young