Old 24-10-2008, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
catkin catkin is offline

Default hedge advice needed please

Why does everyone always want instant results??

I don't usually - its just that I want teh children to be able to play out
teh front so need to enclose teh garden. I will fence it but want a hedge
long term and ideally want somethign to at least disguise the ugly fence
(and mak eit look less like fun to climb) as soon as poss.

What about a mixed native hedge?

we've got one out teh back - it is great but real hassle as we can't get teh
brambles out etc. and the kids keep getting caught on them. also it is about
6 fot wide and I need somethign that i can keep reasonably think out the
front.

Other possible are berberis (but beware if you have little kids) and
various rosas (again barerooted would be by far the cheapest)

What do these look like in teh winter? I seen really great looking hedge in
France down the centres of the payages - I know that you'd get goo dhips but
do all teh leaves drop off? Do they need pruning?

--
Hayley
gardening on clay in Somerset