Old 24-10-2008, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Help!!

On 24/10/08 18:45, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

You're very flattering, Tom but I can think of several people who will know
much more about this than me - to name only three, Charlie, Nick and David
Poole. In terms of Southport, I've only ever gardened in the tropics of
Jersey and Devon!

Well, so are you, but I don't know much about this! It's certainly
capable of taking light frost, but I can't say more than that.
There's no need to worry yet, at least in most parts of the UK,
but it's getting closer to the time I will bring my Strelitzia,
Tibouchina etc. in.

Ray's caved in and decided NOT to experiment over winter with a mature
Lonicera hildebrandiana outside. It's such a love rampageous, mature plant,
that I'm very glad he's cut it back and brought it in. I do think it's
asking a lot of an 8" Bougainvillea to take winter outdoors. Light and
fleeting frost might not harm a woody, mature plant in the lee of a south
facing house wall - I really don't know. But the worst enemy would be wet,
cold roots all winter I should think. And for an 8" one - oh dear!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com