Old 25-10-2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Seaweed

"Derek-G" wrote in message

Does anyone have any knowledge of producing and using extract of
seaweed? I have half filled a large water butt with freshly collected
seaweed, & topped it up with water. I understand from snippets found
here & there, that I will have extract of seaweed in about 6 weeks,
which will have to be diluted at differing strengths depending on its
intended use. I believe it is valuable as a foliar feed, root feed, for
soil improvement and is especially good for seedlings & young plants.
O.K., that exhausts my knowledge of the subject - and I don't guarantee
any part of it to be absolutely correct, apart from the content of the
water butt! I am seeking the following information.

What will the dilution rates be for the various uses?
How often should it be used?
I assume the seaweed is exhausted during the extraction, but is 6 weeks
the correct time, & is there any use for the spent weed after that?

I have also put a 2 inch mulch of seaweed over the beds for the first
time, but any benefit from that will be readily apparent during the
season and its strength is not wildly variable & so should not burn
roots or foliage.
In past years I have included small quantities in the compost heap, but
I've no experience of extraction.
If this site had an icon of Stan Laurel scratching his hairline it
would be most appropriate & I'd use it!

There is a product in Australia called 'Seasol' which seems to be exactly
what you are trying to make. I've been using it for decades diluted to the
colour of weak black tea. It's especially effective for reducing transplant
shock for seedlings and wonderful for anything that is looking 'sad' or not
doing well. I usually just put it into a watering can at the 'weak tea'
dilution.

If I ever want to do a search for things that are related only to the UK, I
use the google UK site and select the option of only searching in the UK.
If you want to know about Seasol, you might like to do a similar search on
http://www.google.com.au/ searching for that item only in Australia.

Here's a couple of sites which may or may not help you:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1574815.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s793557.htm

I'm not close to the sea, but if I was, I'd use as much sea weed as I could
get my hands on as it's got such a great reputaion for soil improvement.