Old 25-10-2008, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Holly (Ilex) - need some advice.

Spider wrote:

Dave's species is aquifolium, Charlie, as signified by the aq after the
generic name.
My female hollies are pollinated by Ilex aquifolium 'Ferox Argentea', the
Silver Hedgehog Holly. It is an interesting holly in its own right (and
variegated, if this is important to the OP), having spines on the upper
suface of the leaf as well as the edges. Since the males cannot bear
berries(!), having this extra interest is a bonus. However, as you say, I.
'Silver Queen' is a good male plant, which is often recommended.

Spider

--------------
Hi,
I would have replied earlier, but did not see your message contents. In
my computer (which is not a typical home computer, but a Sun Blade 2000
workstation running Solaris 10), with the Thunderbird mail client, the
font you used is very very faint. I could barely see the text.

You might want to check out if others have difficulty reading your
posts. Perhaps it is just me. As I say, this is far from a typical home
computer, with its SPARC processor which could not run Windows even if I
wanted - which I don't!!

When I hit reply, with the expectation of your post appearing, it was
not readable at all. I'm not sure what the problem is..

Anyway, thank you for explaining this, and suggestion of Silver
Hedgehog. It sounds quite an attractive looking plant. I looked on the
internet and can get that very cheaply and easily, so I'll perhaps buy
one of them. Another option would be to buy several and fill the gap in
my hedge, but I rather want something to grow there quickly, and hollies
are not very fast growing. That said, I do like the security they offer.