Old 25-10-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Bare Earth Around Young Trees

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:18:03 -0500, Davy
wrote:

In Spring 2007 I planted eight bare-root saplings in our
lawn. Followed advice and created a metre diameter bare
area around each. But several times the trees have
appeared sickly.

We have quite a thin soil over compact clay subsoil and
therefore the roots tend the spread through the top few
inches of soil only. I suspect that I am cutting through
the new roots when I periodically recut the edges of the
bare circle around each tree .

Has anyone found a way of maintaining the bare soil around
trees without cutting their spreading roots?

You don't say what sort of tree.
Did you watch Gardeners' World last night? (24/10)
Toby planted a liquidambar, and showed just how to plant it. He
covered the bare earth with layers of newspaper and then compost or
shredded bark; I forget which. You could use permeable membrane and
cover that with bark.
Sounds like you need to prepare a bigger, deeper hole with more
compost dug in.

Pam in Bristol