Old 25-10-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default too late to plant ground cover?

On 25/10/08 17:06, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Well, I managed to get 12 rhodos in about three weeks ago, but the rest
of the garden that I want to plant with ground cover is still bare.
Would it be foolish to go off to the nursery on Monday and fill the back
of the car with various things? Is it too late?

Thanks.

Eddy.

Are you expecting frost in your area? Are the things you're proposing to
buy grown 'hard', i.e. outdoors, or are they grown under cover or in
greenhouses/tunnels? And by under cover I mean, even so much as a
pergola-type arrangement. If they're grown 'hard' and are of a reasonable
size and if your ground is still quite warm, they should be fine. But
personally, I wouldn't plant things that have been protected, given that the
forecast isn't exactly balmy. They won't get away any faster if the ground
is cold so you might as well wait until spring as it warms up.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com