Old 26-10-2008, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
JayDee JayDee is offline

Default bougainvillea woes - losing leaves and flowers - watering, feeding,etc...

i used to water my bougainvillea on the balcony (facing northwest on
my 2nd floor balcony) by letting it virtually dry out, then flooding
it with a couple gallons (like I water my indoor ficus) and it seemed
to be ok. I was told that a better way to take care of bougainvillea's
is to keep them damp as opposed to dry/drench and now it seems to have
lost many leaves *and* flowers. It's done this before, but seems like
one heck of a coincidence. admittedly it's getting a little colder
now, but since I'm in southern california, that doesn't mean all that
much!

so my question is, should I change the way I'm watering back to dry/
drench or keep the soil damp?

Also, I'm adding the same fish/seaweed fertilizer I add for my ficus -
is that a good idea?

thanks!!

- JayDee