Old 26-10-2008, 09:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Anne Chambers[_2_] Anne Chambers[_2_] is offline

Default Robinia

Loosecanon wrote:
to shoot but it will be of the rootstock not the
desired variety.

I have seen thickets come up in vegetable patches 35 metres away from the
parent tree. They seem to be shallow rooted so makes it more probable a new
tree will come up. if you want to remove this tree you have to remove all
the roots as well and it may take many years to stop the suckers coming up.
Your neighbours may enjoy the ride too. This web link may help
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...083220597.html

Thanks for that - I have a few acres and the neighbours are far away.

There were a few more sprouts which I mowed flat and kept mowing a
couple of years ago because they were in the wrong place - they haven't
come back. I was just intrigued by the difference in flower colour. I
can't see how the new one can be part of the rootstock, because (as far
as I remember) the seedling I planted wasn't grafted, but tubestock.

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com