Old 26-10-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Newb, wants help picking some delightful smells

On 26/10/08 11:28, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:55:20 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

It is commonly known as Christmas Box, because it looks a bit like box
(buxux) and flowers just after Christmas.

Have seen my spelling mistake; buxus, not buxux.

For a summer hanging basket the surfinia "blue vein" is scented and
many callers at my door have noticed it.

A late summer flowering bulb is what I still call Acidanthera but
which is now known as gladiolus calianthus. It is just finishing now
but the flowers have a lovely scent.

Isn't it a bit tender, though? Will it survive winter in south Yorkshire?
How do Camellias do 'up there'? I understand C. williamsii are the hardiest
varieties but am not sure if any of those are scented as some C. sasanquas
are.
And I meant to say to the OP that he should be sure to plant the lavender in
a sunny well-drained place. I made the big mistake of planting some in a
bed that held onto too much moisture and the lavender hated it. When I
transplanted it all into a low wall, it took off like a space rocket!
And I suggest that the kiria is a Kerria japonica - spreads like a weed and
once you've got it, you've got it for life!

If you have plenty of room for a spreading climber, plant clematis
armandii. It also flowers in winter/spring and is scented.

How many acres of garden do you have?

Pam in Bristol

However many it is, there won't be much room left soon. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com