Old 10-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] UPDATE: Black Spots Chinese Elm

In a message dated 4/10/2003 1:10:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

. It seems pretty healthy but when I lifted a rock (for
design) I noticed 2 earthworms. Will the earthworms have any ill effects
on
the tree?

Some members of the list feel that earthworms indicate a sick soil and
the plant should be repotted. The earthworms will not hurt the tree,
however. I usually grow Elms in Metromix 500 a mix based on coir and/or
peat. If you can prune the Elm back or put it in a larger pot (or both)
with new soil I would probably do it. I repotted some Elms over the
weekend in which the soil was worn out and not holding enough water to
support the plant. Although they had leafed out I expect them to be fine.
I doubt you are further south than I am.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++