Old 26-10-2008, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default too late to plant ground cover?

On 26/10/08 15:25, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I have been thinking that if I put them in now
they'll be bigger by the end of next summer, than if I put them in in
Spring, but you're suggesting that won't be the case - in which case I
just need to adapt to the idea of a rather bereft-looking garden over
the coming winter!

Regards,
Eddy.

If your ground is still warmish and you're putting in tough plants, that can
indeed be the case. But if the soil is cold and wet, you're not going to
benefit and small plants may just die off. One year, Ray planted a whole
row of Corydalis down the edge of one long border in the autumn. We had a
very wet winter (that makes a change!) and by spring very few were left
alive!

Thanks a lot, Sacha. Really appreciate your advice. Yes, I had better
put up with an unfinished-looking garden for the next 6 months or so,
rather than risk wasting a lot of money on plants that could just die.

Eddy.

Not just me, Eddy but I'm glad if it helped you to make up your mind. It's
such a waste of money if they die and it only means waiting a little longer!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com