Old 27-10-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water Butt Pressure

"box" wrote in message

Hi folks, I'm a university student doing some research, hopefully some
of you can help!

I'm simply intrested in the gardener's opinion of a pressurised water
butt?

Daft. Why would you go to the trouble for (at most) a few hundred litres of
water? Gravity feed is the simple solution for such a piffling amount.

The idea is that any collected water could easily be put under
pressure,
allowing use with a hose, much like the output from a garden
tap.

Easily? How on earth are going to have a water butt that is filled from
some natural source (like roof runoff) that is at the same time presurised?
Oh I see it's not available to be filled and pressurised at the same time.
You switch modes when you want to use it. And this is going to hold
pressure and be simple and cheap? How will it be powered, hand cranked?

What about the excessive pressure if you don't use it much? You would need
an automatic pressure relief valve.

So next time you have visitors and they ask what is hissing in the garden
you reply "oh that is just the relief valve on my butt"

David