Old 27-10-2008, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Removing a Tree

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
I need to remove a tree

It was about 3 metres high when it was full height.

It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its
about 30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

Is it ok to fidn the roots nd just sever them to stop anything growing
back?

I do want to remove the main part of the stump - so I am thinking of
finding all the roots and chopping them off - but how deep might the
actual stump part go down?

I want to play grass on top so I spose I could always bdig quite deep and
then saw it off so the stump is below 'ground level' and then cover again
with mud?

How can I ensure it doesnt grow back again in a few years and coem out
through my new turf?

You've got a hell of a job on, 30 cm is going to seem quite substantial to
you fairly soon. Yes, you can sever the roots and remove the stump, and it
*shouldn't* come back.

Or you could get the stump grinder guys in. Or you could hack away at the
stump and roots with any implement of destruction you may have, until it's
at least 2" below soil level. Do a bit at a time over several sessions, or
you'll end up wishing you had. Don't ask me how I know :-)

Or you could make a feature of it, either by putting containers on it, or by
making holes in it and planting direct into it, ferns look good in this
situation.

Incidentally, if you're ever in the position of wanting to remove a tree
like this again, don't cut it to a stump, cut it to about or just below eye
level (for safety's sake). Then you can use the tall stump for leverage to
get at the roots.

Good luck
Steve