Old 27-10-2008, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies[_2_] Emrys Davies[_2_] is offline

Default Removing a Tree

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
I need to remove a tree

It was about 3 metres high when it was full height.

It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its

about
30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

Is it ok to fidn the roots nd just sever them to stop anything growing

back?

I do want to remove the main part of the stump - so I am thinking of

finding
all the roots and chopping them off - but how deep might the actual

stump
part go down?

I want to play grass on top so I spose I could always bdig quite deep

and
then saw it off so the stump is below 'ground level' and then cover

again
with mud?

How can I ensure it doesnt grow back again in a few years and coem out
through my new turf?

You need a 5' crowbar, a sharp axe and a spade. Dig a 2' wide ditch
around the trunk and cut off the roots at both ends as they are exposed
by the digging and prising with the crowbar. Soon, when you have dug
down about 2', you will be able to rock the trunk with the crowbar and
you will be amazed how easily it gives up. Elbow grease is cheap!!

I wish you luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.