Old 10-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Unique Too

Default rose craters?

"Susan Solomon" writes:

I've been reading and wondering; how have you planted your roses? Do you
plant them in craters below the ground level to hold the water, or do you
make earthen dams around the plants at ground level to hold the water until
it soaks in? Plastic or concrete rings?

Susan, I plant them at ground level then build a 2-3" earthen dam about 18"
across. Gives me something to keep the water near the roots until they get
started. I put mulch over the entire area and the dam is invisible. Don't
know how much, if any, it helps, but it makes me feel better.

And how do you all water your
roses? Replaceable drip irrigation, or buried piping?

I'm planning my rosebed's watering setup (planned: fixed setup; buried 1/2"
plastic pipe with one emitter at each rose) and am curious how others are
watering their roses!

I started with PVC pipe and a bubbler at each rose. When I only had six it
worked well. As I added and moved roses, the bubblers were no longer in the
right locations. After adding to and revamping the system twice, I gave up on
it. Now I use soaker hoses making a circle around the base of each plant. The
hoses I have are made from recycled tires and kind of drip water out. The
oldest ones are probably 4 years old and still doing well. It is buried under
the mulch so it's invisible and hidden from the sun. It's easy to change when
I move and/or add roses and has worked well for me.