Old 28-10-2008, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Have we given up?

wrote:
hmm. when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

I'll tell you one thing, if I had to read this (or any) newsgroup on
Google, I WOULD give up.
I think we can hold most of our current group together for a long time.
As it is, half (or maybe most) of the computer users in the world don't
understand newsgroups. For someone who has never tried newsgroups, if
they have to seek out Giganews or anything similar, what are the chances
they will bother? Few will. Far fewer than when ISPs were expected to
offer their own news server.
More that a few times, I have mentioned or forwarded something from a
newsgroup and the person wants to know the URL so they can join too. I
have to explain that newsgroups are not a web site.

Steve