Old 28-10-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default Hunzas again

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Tom Withycombe wrote:

As a relative newcomer to this group please enlighten me. What is a
hunza ... some kind of fruit? Or have I asked the "stupid boy" question
:-))

A kind of apricot, originating in the Hunza area of Afghanistan.

Which you can buy in health food and 'nuts-and-raisin' outlets. They dry
on the bushes and are picked and sold dessicated. They're a lot smaller
than cultivated apricots, and you can either eat them dry, or rehydrate
them.

I made a batch of jam from them once - split them and peeled the flesh
off the stones (recommended, as the fruit sometimes has evidence of
having had 'visitors' while on the bush), then cracked the stones and
bunged the kernels in.

No, it wasn't delicious, but it was bearable.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig