Old 10-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Collecting Azaleas

In a message dated 4/9/2003 11:42:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Any info would be helpful. What should I do if they've already been torn
out? Can these be saved? Is it best to cut them back very hard, perhaps
leaving a small branch or two to force sap up the trunk, or can they be cut
right back to the trunk, as I see in some of the
development trees in the
bonsai mags?

Bart:

I just completed a weekend session with a student who bought 3 50-year old collected azaleas. Be prepared to deal with extremely fibrous and dense root pads. However, at this time:

1. Pot the collected specimens in a good potting mixture (not a bonsai mixture. You want to rapidly stabilize the azaleas and promote root growth.

2. Do not cut back on the azaleas, especially in the apex of the tree. If you slow down the sapflow, you may lose the specimens.

3. Water them in with Roots liquid. This will promote root growth and minimize transplant shock.

4. Begin work on the tree next spring.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html