Old 28-10-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
CanopyCo CanopyCo is offline

Default Will grape tomatoes ripen off vine?

On Oct 27, 6:59*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message

We're getting every so close to our first frost (Tennessee). *I've
brought in many regular tomatoes to ripen in the kitchen window. *I
have a TON of green grape tomatoes out there. *Will they ripen if I
pick them green like regular tomatoes?

Yep.

David

I put them in a basket so that they get air and set them in a cool,
dark place (the corner of my kitchen ;-).

When I have a bunch, I put down a towel, then a news paper, then a
layer of tomatoes, then repeat until the top layer is tomatoes.

To harvest, I pick up a towel to get to the next layer.
The news paper keeps the tomatoes form getting down into the towel,
and keeps the rotten ones from making such a mess.
The towel lets me pick up a layer at a time.

All of this goes into milk crates so that it can breath around the
edges.