Old 10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default questions from a first-time homeowner on bugs!

(jameson) wrote:

Hi all, my wife and I have lived in an apartment since we have been
married. We bought a nice home 3 months ago and love it. I never
thought I would enjoy yard work but I just cant get enough of it... We
live out of the city and have a pretty large backyard.

It is now summertime and we are coming to notice lots and lots of
BUGS!

Welcome to the suburbs! Learn to pick your battles.

Mosquito Hawks (those big looking mosquitos)... I am not sure if this
is thier actual name, but from what I understand, they eat mosquitos
and are not interested in my blood... my exterminator guy tells me he
can spray my bushes to kill most of the M. hawks... but will killing
them INCREASE my regular mosquito populations?

Mosquito control by spraying YOUR yard is useless - they can fly
for 1/2 mile of more. Make sure you have no breeding spots for
them, make sure the screens fit well, and consider screening in
your porch.

question here is... how does one get rid of red and black ants
successfully? is it an ongoing battle?

You don't. Unless they are building hills in your living room,
leave them alone.

June Bugs (i think)... at night while my wife and I watch tv, we here
a gentle "knock...knock...knock" on our back door... turns out, these
fat bugs are hitting the doors and windows and dying on the spot... I
guess they like the light

Turn out the light, pull the shades, or replace the outdoorlights
with a motion detector light so you attract fewer of them.
Putting the brightest light away from the door, with an entry
light 1/2 the wattage of the bright one, decoys them away from

I hope my questions arent dumb sounding... I am really looking forward
to many enjoyable years in my home

If bugs bother you, quickly sell the house and move to a highrise
where you only have to deal with cockroaches.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both